Sunday, April 26, 2009

Seeing With New Eyes

http://www.art-prints-on-demand.com/kunst/benozzo_gozzoli/journey.jpg

I was always terrified of art until I took art with Dr. B. I always looked at a painting and it was just that…a painting. I could tell you if I thought it was pretty or not, but if you asked me to analyze a work I was lost. I was nervous on my first day of class with Dr. B simply because I felt in over my head, but I quickly found out what a remarkable teacher he was and soon I was looking at works of art and actually recognizing techniques and I really started to appreciate it. We looked at a lot of works this semester some I loved and some I could have lived without. One of my favorites and the one that reminded me of this class the most would have to be Benozzo di Lesse di Sandro Gozzoli’s work The Journey of the Magi to Bethlehem. The style of the clothing and overall look of the painting seems medieval and if you did not know the title of the work you would probably not associate it with Christian art at all. It could be a hunting party or a kingly procession. The artist alternated between using wet fresco and dry fresco when painting this scene. It is a fairy tale picture but instead of this great procession leading to a beautiful princess it leads directly to the King of Kings.

No comments:

Post a Comment