Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Maps- a little bit beneath the surface.

About a week ago, we talked about maps. Ever since i was a child and even until now, i have always been fascinated with maps. One of the first maps i came in contact with might not be that great of a map. I used to draw and make up maps just for the fun of it whether for scavenger hunts or marking and making trails behind my house. Whatever the kind of map, they have found importance in my life. Maps are a comfort and a guide. No matter ones culture, language, or background, they are helpful and universal. However, i think that there might be something more to maps then how we see them. I believe that maps are a result of man's desire to understand and conquer uncertainties. Also, man's desire for adventure and exploration are apart of maps. I know that as a boy, i was always an adventurous boy. I would spend hours running through and exploring our woods. I would make markings on trees and clear spots on the ground to remember my adventures.I would also mark my "territory" because it gave me a feeling of ownership and significance. Today, i can go back to the same woods and see the markings I once made. I feel that in a sense this is why some maps were made. They are a product of man's desire to explore and discover. What better way to remember and preserve those expeditions than by recording them with maps for future references. There are many uses and meanings behind maps but i feel that this is something that is behind the meaning of maps.

No comments:

Post a Comment