Sunday, April 26, 2009

On the Grass

There's just something to being outside, away from man-made things and the noise that they bring. As we performed "Midsummer" Friday night, I was thinking about when Dr. Mitchell had talked to us the day before about the connection nature makes between our modern world and the world of the Divine. Sitting in the woods by the firelight, I had no chance to turn the tv on, no computer to tempt me to check facebook, no phone to ring and distract me...I was sitting on the ground, talking to my friends and my professors for hours - something I most likely would not have done for that period of time in my manufactured, modern, busy world. It made me think of my relationship with GOD. In my modern spiritual life, I listen to the David Platt podcasts, read the newest study books, watch the newest Beth Moore Bible studies, buy the best worship cd's (none of which I believe are wrong and none of which GOD has not used in my life) and still somehow miss truly worshiping and abiding with my Savior. While these things are blessings that the modern era has brought us, I have used them as curses. I focus on them and not on my GOD. I be busy and do not "be still." I can't help but think that GOD would rather have me singing to Him without music than have my distracted song half-heartedly sung along with my headphones in my ears. I think He would rather have me walking in the woods watching His creation and praising Him for it than watching the latest Bible study video and wondering how much longer it will take. I have a feeling He would rather me sit down on the grass and just talk to Him than listen to the words He's given someone else. While GOD will use the modern - has used it in my life - I think there are times when He wants to draw me out of the pew and onto the grass with just His Presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment