Monday, February 16, 2009

Why the Forced Ignorance?

I find it interesting that Dante so thoroughly describes the levels, boundaries, and landscapes of Hell, yet we, as Christians find very little information in the Word of God regarding the actual setup of this horrid place. I have to admit, I have enjoyed reading The Inferno of Dante, simply for the detail and specific settings described. Although the story is very dark and the mood very grim, Dante does an excellent job with creating evocative dialogue and complex scenery. Why is it that the Bible does not describe Hell as thoroughly as it does Heaven? Are there any physical similarities at all between the two? Would it have been better to have a more complete description of Hell in God’s word? Would that have had more of an effect on whoever is reading it (Believer or non-believer)? These are the questions roaming through my mind and although I am grateful and accepting of the contents in the Bible, I still cannot completely quell the curiosity towards those things in this life and the Spiritual realm hereafter, and the fact that not all things are explained. God chose to remain “silent” in some matters and I believe it is for our own good. I wonder if the human mind could even handle the reality of either a place: Heaven or Hell?! Such knowledge may cripple the motivation or boggle the mind of a mere mortal, living and breathing in this present-day world…

No comments:

Post a Comment