Tuesday, February 24, 2009

America: An Unrecognizable Pot

I’ve been glancing back over blogs from the beginning of the semester and have come across many videos and slide shows of renaissance Fairs. Why is it that this period of time complete with chamber pots and the bubonic plague inspire reenactments? Why is it that the medieval times are romanticized with chivalrous knights and damsels in distress and peasantry, torture, and starvation are completely ignored?

I’m not sure, but I myself have attended renaissance fairs and thoroughly enjoyed being immersed in a different society. I also find it interesting the renaissance fairs are purely an American creation. Its is almost as if Americans see the need to borrow history and culture because we are such a young country and an almost culture less people. Americans have their own melting pot of cultures, unfortunately because there are so many of them meaning and tradition tend to get lost or become forced. I myself am part Irish, Italian, and Native American. I have no firm roots in any of those cultures. What I do have is a yearning for roots. I want nothing more than to travel to Italy to discover something other than a watered down version of a culture and tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment