Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sleeping in Hell?

One of my roommates is writing an informative speech about sleep. As she was rehearsing the speech to me, I started to think, "Wow, Dante didn't stop at all for sleep on his journey through hell." This may sound silly to some of you. You may be thinking, "Well of course he wouldn't sleep in hell." I thought the same thing. But at the same time, I am so amazed that he probably doesn't need to sleep in hell. Beings in the afterlife are considered dead and therefore do not need sleep since sleep is something that living things need to rejuvenate the mind and body. So one would think that since Dante is living that he would need to sleep. But why would someone sleep in hell? According to the Bible, hell is a firey abyss. So why would you sleep there? Even if you wanted to sleep, would you be able to? I imagine that people would be screaming in pain and agony in hell and I doubt I would be able to fall asleep to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment