Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Depth of Ugolino's Damnation

The story of Ugolino and his children disturbed me more than any other instance of the Inferno. As I heard the voices of the children crying out to their father, I thought about another Voice that I have studied for my entire life, and the words of His cries....

"In their faces, the image of my own..."
"Behold, the Lamb of God..."

"Father, why don't you help me?"
"My God, my God, why have You forsaken Me?"

"Our pain will lessen if you eat us..."
"Whoever eats of My flesh will have eternal life..."

Ugolino's sin may have been deeper than his tyrranical soul. He did not see the true message of his children's words. By rejection them, he rejected the one who alone could save his soul. By turning away from his children, then eating his sons, Ugolino secured his damnation...but could have been in Paradise if he had accepted the flesh of Son of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment