Friday, February 6, 2009

Diaries/Journals/Apologizing

After reading the Confessions [and yes, I actually read it. Be proud. ha ha], I realize the courage it took for Augustine to write everything down, whether he knew people would be reading it or not. I've never been one to keep a diary or a journal because I am always afraid that even though it would probably be in a place where no one could find it, that someone will end up reading it and be mad at me or something. This fear was probably created from the numerous shows on tv that show a girl's mom cleaning their daughter's room, "stumbling" on their diary, and then reading it. I would be really upset if someone did that to me and to prevent that from happenning, I just don't keep one. But since finishing the Confessions, I have thought about keeping like a daily journal or something so that I can look back and see what was going on at a certain point in my life and how things have changed. The only problem I see with that is I just don't have time to do it every day. I applaud anyone that writes in a diary or journal everyday and I hope to one day do the same.

Although most of Augustine's actions would be frowned upon, I admire him for taking the initiative to confess his sins in writing. I know we all have trouble admitting when we're wrong, especially to other people. I know a few people that will never apologize to anyone for anything. And even if people apologize and ask for forgiveness, how many do you know that will write it down for others to see? If I made a mistake, I wouldn't want the whole world to know about it; only me, God, and the persons involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment