Sunday, February 8, 2009

Just a Distraction

While discussing the opinions of Abbot Suger and Bernard of Clairvaux, I could not decide which opinion I held. Bernard clearly thought that the churches in the eleventh and twelfth century were too indulgent and were a waste of resources that could have been otherwise put to use helping the poor and children with needs. Abbot’s rebuttal was that the artistry and beauty of the Gothic style churches caused people to thank God who created beauty. After pondering over their points of view, I disagree with Abbot. I know that many times God has done something amazing in my life, but sometimes I am so distracted by the amazing thing that has happened that I forget to thank the one who allowed me to experience it. I think these churches are merely distractions, and the lavishness of the appearance might cause one to feel reverence toward the church not the head of the church, Christ. Christians are the body of Christ, and we make up the Church, not pointed arches, ribbed vaults, stained glass windows, or any other type of physical aspect of the building in which we choose to worship God. Also, the fact that churches were trying to compete with each other to have the most extravagant building, convinces me that the church builders’ primary motive was not to make the worshipers experience God in a non-discursive way. I feel that the churches built in this era were just a show and a distraction from glorifying God.

No comments:

Post a Comment