Monday, January 19, 2009

Iron Choice...

So, just like some others, this is my first blog.  I really feel like a renaissance man of sorts, doing this cutting edge thing of "blogging."  Therefore, would I be called a bloggER?  Not sure.
"I sighed after such freedom, but was bound not by an iron imposed by anyone else but by the iron of my own choice."  I find myself agreeing with St. Augustine in this matter.  Many times I found myself and others around me chaining themselves to the iron of their own choices.  Those who are believers and followers of the Way have already been set free, by just that, or Him.  So, why is it that we who are still human, even after our "re-birth" seem to feel captured by our own ambitions or lack their of.  

"I was afraid of being rid of all my burdens as I ought to have been at the prospect of carrying them."  St. Augustine, of course, speaks truth so eloquently with this sentence.  Many followers of Christ can not fully imagine themselves without all the baggage.  It is almost an intimidating thought to think of themselves free of burdens, and sin.  The iron shackles that are around their feet, and wrists, are simply there because they have not chosen to remove them, Christ unlocked them, but did not necessarily take them off.  The fear of the LORD is the beginning of Wisdom, he that has an ear let him hear the words found in Scripture by our dear St. Augustine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment