Thursday, January 29, 2009

Approaching the Throne

Cathedrals have always made me nervous. I’ve been in more than a few while traveling through various corners of the earth, and though I highly appreciate the exquisite artistic works that I have found within, I am the first to admit that the abundant ornamentation (as well as the usual widow asking for ‘alms’ at the door) all comes off a little creepy to me. I find myself holding my breath in a silent reverence throughout every cathedral visit, but strangely enough, I do not find that this reverence that I hold is particularly a reverence toward God. Rather, it is as if the structure of the church itself demands a degree of reverence from me, and out of fear of unintentionally acting like a heathen, I return the reverence it demands. So what is the purpose of the exquisite nature of these “places of worship”? Is it to appease a God demanding our best in worship, to remind us of the sacred act of worship, or perhaps to invoke a sense of awe toward the church itself?

Below is a picture of a cathedral I recently visited in South America. Characteristically ornate, the first thing that strikes me is the distance between the altar and the people. Strangely enough, the word for “cathedral” is actually derived from the Latin word cathedra, which refers to the throne, or presence of, the bishop. For me, however, worship is centered around the presence of God -the incarnate Word in flesh, revealed to mankind as individuals - instead of the distant presence of a mediator or divinity. 
While carefully tiptoeing around the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, which stands in the midst of the city where God became flesh and left the grave empty, I whispered to my father, “I know this is supposed to be a sacred place, but where is all the joy?” Though it is important to recognize and maintain a sacred reverence toward the presence of God, we can also rejoice that we can “approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need” (Hebrews 4:16).

Perhaps it would be good for Protestant Christianity to adopt a renewed reverence for the “sanctuary”, or place of worship,” but in every manner of worship, we can relax, breathe, and rejoice - for the veil to the Holy of Holies has been torn and we are invited to enter in.

That’s home.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that ornate churches give a feeling of reverence and sometimes even eeriness... But if I were to go to my church when a service wasn't going on, I don't think I would get a feeling of joy there either. Usually churches feel more like auditoriums or office buildings... there may be some fake flowers and stiff furniture. It would be nice if comfort and joy were more of a priority.I'm just not quite sure what is to be done about it.....
    but in a present day or Midieval setting it's all about getting the focus on God, and that is a goal to be praised.

    ReplyDelete