Thursday, January 29, 2009

How Many People Can You Stuff Into A Church?

Alright. So this is using pretty loose statistics just simply because I didn't want to spend too much time researching, but here it is. The Cologne Cathedral is roughly 407,000 cubic meters which is about 14, 375,000 cubic feet (not even the biggest cathedral). The average attendance was about 16,000 people. A single person takes up maybe 3 cubic feet. This means the ratio of people to space is about 1 person to 300 cubic feet. But if they really wanted to use this space, they could shove about 4.75 million more bodies in there. It may be just a tad bit crowded.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome. I'm definitely a fan of using math in a literature class. I don't know why, but I am a fan. I'll also note it took me a while to reconcile that I take up near 27 feet in space. I will be joyful, however that I do not take up 67,419,143,000,000,000 fee in space.

    ReplyDelete