Monday, March 23, 2009

Wisdom teeth

Recently I discovered that I am going to have to get my wisdom teeth removed. It got me thinking: what is the purpose of wisdom teeth, and why does practically everyone get theirs removed? I would think that something with the word “wisdom” in the name would be pretty important. Why are people nowadays so ready to get them removed? With this you probably have some of your own questions like what does this have to do with honors lit. Well, I think the removal of wisdom teeth is symbolic of the decline of real intellect in the modern time. This goes back to our discussion in the forest how we have moved further and further from the deep thinking of the works that we have been reading this semester. Obviously I do not think that wisdom teeth make us smarter. But I think people have moved away from the things of the mind and have focused on the things of the flesh. Vanity is something that has taken over the mindset of our generation. I think this also relates to the whole wisdom teeth thing. I think part of the reason why people get their wisdom teeth removed is the idea that our teeth need to be straight and perfect looking. We care less about the condition of our mind than the formation of our teeth. If we started caring more about getting back to the standard of learning and intellect of the ancient days and focused less on the trivial things, who know what our generation can accomplish? So let's keep our wisdom teeth and our intellect... it hurts a lot less!

No comments:

Post a Comment